To password protect directory:
- Login into your cPanel at http://your-domain/cpanel and click on "Password Protect Directories."
- Once you click on Password Protect Directories, you will see a list of directories.
- Click on the name of the directory that you wish to password protect.
- Check the box for Directory requires a password to access via the web.
- Fill in Protected Resource Name, actually this is just the message that will show in the login window and can be anything you'd like.
- Click on Save button below.
- Click "Go Back"
- Fill in a Username and Password at the bottom of the page, and click "Add/modify authorized user."
- You are Done! The directory you just select has been protected by password. To ensure you directory has been password protected, launch you browser and visit the folder, if browser prompt you to login, your directory has been protected by password! Note: At this time you can only protect directories (not individual files) from cPanel.